Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Carrie Bradshaw moments.


My overall abroad experience could be summed up as one simple Carrie Bradshaw moment.  It is in this current moment, at 3:11 in the afternoon on a Monday between classes that feels just like a scene out of the show. It's the fact that as I am sitting at my favorite cafe, a gypsy is jingling a cup in my face for money while threatening to take my cell phone, I am basically secondhand smoking a cigarette from the couple next to me, and I am enjoying every drop of my perfectly brewed cappuccino that I am going to miss extremely in two weeks. I am striving to get papers and projects done, and study for finals next week...but to be honest I've never felt more confused. It's hard to believe that four months ago I had no idea what this trip had in store for me and how much I would fall in love with it. I am absolutely in love with the people passing by, with the smells, the sights, the people, the food, the fashion. I love that I can walk down the street and hear English, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and German all within the same block. This is alot coming from the girl that does not love a lot of things, or people. I know that in less than two weeks I'll be back in Illinois, back to my other reality, the one that feels far too surreal for me to remember right now.
As I sit here now on my computer watching life pass me by in Florence I feel this knot twisting in my stomach for I have to come to grips with the fact that soon this will not be my home, but just a distant memory. A great memory but a distant one nonetheless. I am kind of feeling depressed because I don't know how to act when I go home...Italy has been on my mind since I started college and now that it's coming to an end, I am basically freaking out. I am restless, can't sit in our apartment, nothing is seeming to fully satisfy me at all. What once seemed so normal is now completely foreign. The only thing left to do is live in this moment. Live every day here like I will never return, and enjoy it. But trust me, it's much easier said than done.
typical roommates during my birthday celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment